To RUN or NOT to RUN ....

Why I am giving up RUNNING (for now) ...


This was a very hard decision for me to make. Why? I love to run. I've always loved to run -- running helps to clear my mind and work through things. It gives me a new focus.

But this morning, after my prayer time, I realized that God didn't say that I needed to run every single day. No. He reminded me that I need to be in shape, need to be healthy. Simply put: I just need to exercise.

Maybe it's an age thing (I'll be 48 years old in 9 days), or maybe it's an "out of shape" thing, or maybe it's "you had knee surgery and this is sooo hard" thing, but exercising by running was becoming a chore, not something I looked forward to (as I did in the past). And maybe it's a combination of all of the above, but today I decided that I am not going to run for awhile. I'm not saying that I'm going to give it up completely ...


For one thing, I found that when I running, I didn't feel as if I was pushing myself completely. I was actually running less distance and not doing it as a constant (every day) thing. I can walk on the treadmill, at a comfortable speed of 4.0, but my jogging wasn't/isn't up to that speed. And quite honestly, it wasn't as much fun as speed walking. I found that I was pushing myself, wanted to go faster and for longer distances, when I am speed walking. In fact, exercising as a whole, was a pain in the neck and not something I looked forward to anymore. Exercise should be fun ... well, let's just say it should be an enjoyable experience. And the best thing about speed walking compared to running, my asthma doesn't act up nearly as much -- and that's a big plus.


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4 (NIV) * Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and become wise! Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter. Proverbs 6:6-8 (NLT)

God isn't asking or advising me to RUN, but He is reminding me that a healthy lifestyle involves exercise, and to not be lazy. To persevere, not give up, so I can learn and grow in Him. And most importantly, I need to obey my hearts desires --- which for now, is speed walking.

Country FarmHouse Blessings,

Comments

Popular Posts