Homemade Laundry Soap - Country FarmHouse Style

Homemade Laundry Soap




Supplies Needed:

Large Measuring Cup or Bowl
Grater
Wooden Spoon
Borax (20 Mule Team)
Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
Large Bar of Soap (we use handmade soap)
Fels Naptha - one bar




Grate the bar of soap and theFels Naptha bar. Add both to the mixing bowl or measuring cup. I add Fels Naptha, but it isn't necessary if you are using a soap bar. I use it because it helps in stain removal.




Add 1 1/2 cups of Borax and 1 cup of the Washing Soda. Most other recipes say equal amounts of Borax and the Washing Soda but I personally found that my laundry was softer (this could be because we have hard water) and brighter when adding a 1/2 cup more of Borax - this is my personal preference.


Stir all of these ingredients thoroughly together. You would like to stir until it is in a powder form.

The amount of ingredients used above will fill a regular mason jar, but since I make a month's supply at one time, I prefer a larger container (as shown in the photo).

To use: Add 2 -3 Tablespoons to each load of laundry. I also add 1/4 cup of baking soda to every wash load - aids in the brighten and keeps your laundry fresh smelling. To every towel load, I alsoadd 1/4 cup of white vinegar - takes out the nasty smell.

To the final rinse load, I also add a few drops of essential oil. My personal favorites: lemon, eucalyptus or sandalwood - depending on what my bar of soap smells like.

At the time of this blog post, I am doing a month's load of laundry for less than $10/month. This does include an inexpensive, unscented box of dryer sheets for static cling.

Country FarmHouse Blessings,

~*♥*~ Lori ~*♥*~

Comments

Popular Posts